Registration Dossier

Data platform availability banner - registered substances factsheets

Please be aware that this old REACH registration data factsheet is no longer maintained; it remains frozen as of 19th May 2023.

The new ECHA CHEM database has been released by ECHA, and it now contains all REACH registration data. There are more details on the transition of ECHA's published data to ECHA CHEM here.

Diss Factsheets

Environmental fate & pathways

Endpoint summary

Administrative data

Description of key information

In a inherent biodegradability of FAT 20075/B was determined according to the OECD Guideline 302B. The adsorption of the test substance FAT 20075/B after 3 hours was 7 %; the biodegradation of the test substance FAT 20075/B after 28 days was 47 % while the total elimination of the test substance FAT 20075/B after 28 days was 51 %. The biodegradation of the reference substance after 8 days was 98 %. The BOD5 is determined to 59 mg O2/g  while the COD was found to be 1167 mg O2/g. Considering both values determined with the test substance the resulting BOD5/COD quotient is 0.05, indicating that the test substance is unlikely to be biodegradable.

Additionally, by the nature of their design and use, acid dyes are not intended to be readily biodegradable as this would assist in the rapid destruction of the dyestuff, rendering it unfit for purpose. As such, it is accepted that such substances are not readily biodegradable under relevant environmental conditions. A published study (Pagga & Brown, 1986) describes the results of the testing of 87 dyestuffs in short-term aerobic biodegradation tests. The authors of this publication concluded that dyestuffs are very unlikely to show any significant biodegradation in such tests and that 'there seems little point in carrying out such test procedures’ on dyestuffs. There are ISO, European, American (AATCC) and national standards for the colour fastness of dyes. Dyes are required to have specific fastness properties. If the dyes were biodegradable, it would not be possible for them to have these fastness properties.


Pagga U, Brown D (1986) The degradation of dyestuffs: Part II. Behaviour of dyestuffs in aerobic biodegradation tests. Chemosphere 15: 479-491.

Additional information