Registration Dossier

Data platform availability banner - registered substances factsheets

Please be aware that this old REACH registration data factsheet is no longer maintained; it remains frozen as of 19th May 2023.

The new ECHA CHEM database has been released by ECHA, and it now contains all REACH registration data. There are more details on the transition of ECHA's published data to ECHA CHEM here.

Diss Factsheets

Environmental fate & pathways

Endpoint summary

Administrative data

Description of key information

Additional information

The adsorption and desorption characteristics of ethyl acrylate to five soils, a loamy sand, a clay loam, two loams and an aquatic sediment, were determined in a guideline study according to EPA guidelines - CFR 40 section 796.2750 and GLP regulations. EA was weakly adsorbed onto the soils and sediment. As related to the carbon content of the individual soils, the average Koc for the adsorption step was 42.2 ± 31.4. This places EA in a high to very high mobility class for adsorption to soils. Thus, the potential for adsorption to soil, sediment, and suspended solids is low.

The Henry's Law constant can be calculated by validated Q(SAR) such as EPI Suite v3.20. Henry's Law Constant was calculated to be 12.5 Pa*m3/mol indicating slow evaporation of the substance from the water surface into the atmosphere.

Distribution modeling using Mackay Level I indicates that ethyl acrylate is likely to partition to the air compartment (88%) with the remainder partitioning into water (12%); negligible amounts are predicted to occur in other environmental compartments (soil, sediment) (Level I Fugacity, 2008).

Comparable results were achieved with the Level III fugacity model (Level I Fugacity, 2000) using realistic percentages of releases. The Toxic Release Inventory (TRI) database for the year 2001 indicates that approximately 100% of the releases of ethyl acrylate are to air. Assuming 100% release to air (estimated to be 8.5 kg/hr for the model) provides approximate distribution into air, water, soil and sediment of 95, 4.6, 1, and 0.1%, respectively.

Based on the physical chemical properties of ethyl acrylate, the atmosphere is the main target compartment for distribution and only small amounts will remain in the hydrosphere and geosphere.