Registration Dossier

Data platform availability banner - registered substances factsheets

Please be aware that this old REACH registration data factsheet is no longer maintained; it remains frozen as of 19th May 2023.

The new ECHA CHEM database has been released by ECHA, and it now contains all REACH registration data. There are more details on the transition of ECHA's published data to ECHA CHEM here.

Diss Factsheets

Ecotoxicological information

Short-term toxicity to fish

Currently viewing:

Administrative data

Link to relevant study record(s)

Description of key information

The key  study for this endpoint is from the study of Bogers (1999) carried out at NOTOX BV, which was conducted according to OECD 203, under GLP and with analystical monitoring of test substance (ammonium thiocyanate).  The LC50 was 65 mg/L.  When expressed as SCN- content, the LC50 was 50 mg/L SCN-

Key value for chemical safety assessment

Fresh water fish

Fresh water fish
Effect concentration:
65 mg/L

Additional information

Seven studies were reviewed for this endpoint, of which two were conducted under GLP with analytical monitoring, and the rest were literature studies, non GLP, with no analytical monitoring. The key study chosen for this endpoint is from the study of Bogers (1999) carried out under GLP, with LC50 value of 65 mg/L. Two studies with lower EC50 values were disregarded due to the following reasons:

Study I: Tooby et al (1975):

The identity of the cation attached to thiocyanate is not mentioned, and the test compound is only identified as containing 15 % thiocyanate, with no further information on what constitutes the remaining 85 %. Although a low LC50 value of 0.46 mg/L was obtained, the effect could not be attributed solely to the thiocyanate ion due to the lack of identity of the remaining 85%.

Study II: Bhunia et al (2000):

This study had a LC50 value of 13.4 mg/L for NH4SCN but was disregarded for the following reasons:

a. it uses a non standard and tropical species,O. mossambicus

b. the size of the fish used for this study (10 cm) is bigger than the standard range (2 - 6 cm)

c. there is no description of the rearing conditions of the fish, thus study cannot be reproduced

d. there was no analytical measurement of ammonium thiocyanate in the test